Monday, June 14, 2010

Lessons 11-15

Lesson #11: No matter where in the world you are, chocolate is a universal comfort food. I've found myself feeling a little more homesick and out of place than I was expecting amidst the hustle and bustle of new people, new places, and a new language. But, thankfully, a petite and preciously packaged chocolate torta (cake) from the corner store is a lovely reminder of my mom's wonderful desserts. Sometimes, all you really need is a cup of cafe con leche and some chocolate to get out of your rainy day slump.

Lesson #12: No matter how little you know about soccer, especially in a soccer crazy country like Argentina, David Beckham can always be brought up to start a conversation. At work today, my boss argued with me for almost a half hour about how he thought David Beckahm was gay (much to my dismay). Fortunately, the handful of other young women who were sitting with us came to my defense. No body talks shit about my man.

Lesson #13: As long as you're not blonde, people will think you're from Buenos Aires. For the third time during this trip, somebody has stopped me to ask me for directions or help. I mean seriously? Apparently the confused, distraught, and forelorn look across my face is not a dead giveaway that I'm not from here. However, my feeling of accomplishment quickly faded when, for the third time during this trip, I had to say "No se" (I don't know).

Lesson #14: A monument or statue of some sort should be built for the two brilliant individuals that invented blowdryers and straighteners. Because of the different voltage and plugs here, Shiwani and I were unable to bring any hair appliances. We figured the break from the damaging heat would do our hair some good. But without them I've been looking like one of the homeless people that line the streets around here. So in any pictures, be forewarned, the crazy looking hobo with a birds nest on her head is actually me.

Lesson #15: If you're from Buenos Aires, you will kiss everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) on the cheek upon entering or leaving a building. It's the most wonderful custom because it's impossible to not feel like you're a part of the people. As one of the first people into the office today, I received and returned almost 40 kisses as my coworkers arrived and left. Note to self, don't smell bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment